Sunday, September 25, 2016

Spring Days on the Farm are Busy Days


Valentina, our first doe kid of the season. 



As the days slip by since the loss of our son Ethan, I find myself struggling to keep up. The demands of raising a family on a farm compares to those of little else. Daily chores require much effort and focus. During birthing and milking seasons, the work is exasperated. It takes every member of the family to assist in accomplishing these tasks. 

One member of our family is missing. His contributions affected every aspect of our lives. They can never be replaced.

In our devastation, I have found solace through my faith in the Lord and his promises.

It is through farm living, I have gained an appreciation for the simple things in life; the solitude of a walk on our land, the stillness in watching my animals graze on a lovely day. The goodness of unadulterated food the way nature intended. Hugs and kisses from a newborn calf, or goat kid, and the gentle nudge from the snout of a piglet. All these things….and yet so much more.

So we press on, and do what is necessary to continue experiencing these simple things. But most of all, to care for and make use of what the Lord has given us.

I am not sure I will ever experience the true fulfillment I once had in any sense. But it is time, more than the basics are accomplished, and I look forward to sharing those with you.

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." -Romans 12:12

No comments:

Post a Comment