Monday, March 27, 2017

Advocating for a Humane Food Process



Why do vegans attack the small farmers that so lovingly and dutifully care for their animals?

This question has perplexed me. Yet after recently receiving negative comments through both of my farm pages, it is one I have come to ponder.

While I have never even slightly considered the possibility of veganism, I do understand and appreciate their position on the plight of animal welfare. As a volunteer for a horse rescue, adopter of unwanted horses, cats and dogs, I take the humane treatment of animals to heart. In fact, I consider myself an advocate for animal welfare.

But to vegans, that isn't enough. They consider all animals to be part of the pet population. I guess that is where we part ways.

You see, I don't view livestock as pets, but as a vital part of a food process that was originally designed by our creator God to provide nourishment to our bodies.

A food process we have sadly drifted away from. The fast paced demands of our lifestyles have separated us from that process and has allowed for the corporatism to gain a foothold on the manufacturing of our food. One that doesn't care about the humane treatment of livestock, much less your health.

Drive through any town during meal hours and note the amount of people in the fast food drive-thrus. Folks this is not real food you are eating, but something created by a process driven solely by profits, not ethics.

Honestly I'm not sure we can ever change our current food system, we are all guilty of creating. It would require a change in lifestyle I'm not so sure many would consider.

But my suggestion to vegans is this...instead of bashing the small livestock farmers that are trying so hard to keep a healthy, humane food process, advocate for a lifestyle changes. For example, cut back on meat consumption in your diet, skip the drive-thrus for lunch by taking a few extra minutes in the morning to make your lunch at home, cook dinner at home and eat with your family, teach your children to cook, buy as much as possible from your local farmers and lastly expand your palate.

That is how you will ever truly make a positive change for our food process.




No comments:

Post a Comment